Wednesday, July 7, 2010

NY Strip Steaks on the Grill

For a long time I have been a big proponent of the ribeye as "perfect cut of steak" camp, but last week James picked up some NY strips because, well, he prefers lean steak, and it is an easier cut for him to trim. I know, sacrilege. At least I get his fat. Anyway, I usually give him grief over him being so difficult and picky, I think it particularly bothered me to see a perfectly good ribeye dissected and ruined, but this time, well, I have never eaten such fantastic NY strips! How is this possible? They were only choice, (the prime cut was twice as much) and I didn't do anything special with them, but wow, they were just perfect. I may have to switch camps for a while...

I prepped 2 steaks (roughly 16 oz each) by placing in a dish, drizzling with red wine vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and quite a bit of dried oregano. I sometimes add a touch of cumin, but not this time. It is sort of my quicky version of the adobo seasoning used on everything back home in spanish harlem. Somehow it just makes stuff good, really good, no matter what. Chicken? you bet, slather it on and roast or grill. Pork chops, hell yeah, sit 'em in it over night and grill over high heat for an awesome crust and knock your socks of smokey scent while you wait. Sweet potatoes cubed and roasted in this mixture? Heaven.

So anyway, I let it sit for 30 minutes or so (over night would have been better, in fact, when I have time on the weekend to prep for the next few days I often make a big ziplock bag full of whatever meat we will be eating and mix the seasoning/marinade  in the bag and just toss it in the meat drawer to take out as needed) and got the grill screaming hot. I like my steak pretty rare, but deeply seared, so that's how I cook them, though I just leave the second steak on the grill once I am done and turn the heat off so James can get his annoyingly overcooked meat.

Let the steaks sit without touching them for 2-3 minutes with the lid closed, then give a quarter turn so they  get those tasty perpendicular grill marks, put the lid back on for 3 minutes or so, the flip the meat over and repeat. If you want the meat more cooked turn the heat down (or if using charcoal/wood move to a cooler area of the grill) and leave the meat on until you like it.

Of course once you take the meat off the grill it needs to sit for 5 minutes, agonizing though it may be to wait! I use this time to pour a glass of wine (or a second one, because one doesn't like to grill empty handed, am I wrong?) and throw together sides if anyone really wants them. (chopped tomato, avocado, salad, etc...)

Then, sigh, succulent meat, crisped fat, salty crust, just as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment