Saturday, July 10, 2010

Beets in the Bag


Not sure how paleo modern beets are, but they are certainly tasty & beautiful! I have been prepping large batches of them lately by separating the greens and keeping the leaves that are in good shape, soaking in a big bowl, rinsing, spinning dry and stuffing into a gallon ziplock bag in the fridge until I am ready to cook them. I then wash the beets, and wrap up a few in a foil "bag" with no oil or seasoning or anything, and then stick in the grill whenever we next have some meat ready to go. I leave them in the hot grill for quite a while, perhaps 30-45 minutes? Turn the bags over once, and when cool (I just leave them to cool when I turn the grill off) I stick 'em in the fridge. There have been a couple of times where 1 bag leaked a bit so it might really be better to double the layer of foil, or stick them in another container.

When I have time (hah!) I can unwrap a packet of grill roasted beets and easily slip the skins off, chop roughly and drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and rice wine vinegar for a very tasty and refreshing summer side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment